Child Relocation

For an experienced divorce lawyer in Long Island, call Wand and Goody.Once a divorce or separation agreement is finalized, and a pattern of shared parenting has become established, one of the most difficult circumstances to deal with is if custodial parents wish to change his/her place of residence outside of a radius that The Parties may have agreed upon.

Change of residence is often necessitated by job requirements, remarriage, or a desire to relocate to another city or state. If one parent has to move far away, it creates problems that are more difficult to deal with than if the move is a shorter distance.

As with the initial determination of custody, a relocation issue will be a function of the best interests of the child(ren). A relocation case may often include the appointment of a law guardian, forensics and a hearing.

If the need to relocate occurs after a settlement is executed, the court will look at many factors, including, but not limited to, current contact with the non-relocating parent and that which the child(ren) and non-relocating parent will enjoy after the move, financial or other need by the parent relocating making the request, etc.

“Competence, experience and persistence you can trust.” These words are not offered lightly.  It is the firm’s philosophy in representing its clientele. If you are interested in speaking with an attorney of the firm, contact our Long Island divorce and family law firm at 631.462.3434 or by email at to arrange a consultation to discuss your specific circumstance.

ABA Journal: Judge orders Skype setup so divorced dad can see kids – Read More